The Spirit of Baalam

Thus saith Balak the son of Zippor, Let nothing, I pray thee, hinder thee from coming unto me: For I will promote thee unto very great honour, and I will do whatsoever thou sayest unto me: come therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people. And Balaam answered and said unto the servants of Balak, If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do less or more. Now therefore, I pray you, tarry ye also here this night, that I may know what the LORD will say unto me more (Numbers 22;16-19).


Baalam was a religious man, a remarkable man and a man in favor with God. He was sincere and transparent. When Balak sent for him to curse Israel he did the right thing and sought God. God forbade him to go and Baalam submitted to God. Balak sent again for Baalam and Baalam replied "if Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the Word of the Lord, to do less or more." (Numbers 22;18)

Shortly after God allowed him to Go. Baalam obeyed God and went to Balak as God instructed and told Baalam, "Lo I come unto thee, have I any power at all to say anything? The Word that God putteth into my mouth that shall I speak.. Whatsoever he showeth me I Will tell thee." Balak responded in anger to Baalam, the Lord has kept thee back from honour, get thee back to thy country.  Baalam responded, "Spake I not unto thy messengers which thou sentest unto me saying if Baalak would giev me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the Lord. To do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the Lord saith, that will I speak."

This shows us that Baalam was a man of obedience, honourable and sincere before God. Listen to the statement written by Micah of Baalam. "I have received commandment to bless and I cannot reverse it he hath shown thee O man what is good and what doth the Lord require of thee, to to justly, to love mercy and to walk with thy God." ( Micah 6:8).

But, God had told him to go and he went, he went because God changed his mind and God was mad with him,  angry with him,  Now the reason why God was angry with this man, this good respectable man was that, he would obey God out of a sense of loyalty to God yet his heart was not in doing what God wanted him to do. Baalam wanted to curse Israel, O yes, his outward response and actions were right but his heart was in a different place. He would not be dishonorable, he would serve God. He would do what he was told to do but his heart was not in doing what God wanted him to do. He kept an unblemished character before the brethren, but before God it was a different matter.

Is this not a picture of mamy today, who are like Baalam. They are good folks who respect the ministry and the denomination they are affiliated with, they will obey the pastor and do anything he tells them, yet they do it  out of restraint, not willingly but out of demand. It's expected of us to obey, to give and be supportive, after all if we don't conform we are seen as unsubmissive to authority, outside the organisation and denominations many of todays preaches shave no ministry. their system keeps them bound when in their hearts they know there are other rods they wish to explore.

Are we by default raising up Baalam's in God's house? "yes men" who conform because they don't want to be seen as rebellious? Are we raising brethren like Baalam who want to become pastors yet in their heart conform out of duty and loyalty yet their heart is in disagreement with many of the ways and sometimes the doctrines we enforce.

Are we raising up Baalam's by imposing on them standards they cannot keep, by meetings they must attend, clothes they must wear, haircuts they have, hairstyles the ladies must wear. How ridiculous this all seems, I would say dangerous. For you are making a Baalam out of a man!

Pastor, this ought not to be. A man must "want to" do the right thing. If he wants too because he loves too then you will make true disciples of a man, for it is the spirit of love that draws a man into holiness, it's the spirit of a man that empowers him to obedience.  Folks are leaving church because of legalism. Legalism cannot replace personal "want to" and "must do" before God. I worship because I love too not because I have too. I don't the because I am forced too, I the because I love too. I don't bow in worship because I'm asked too, I bow in worship because I love too. love is more powerful than law love is grater than riles, love comfort my reaction ship with God, I want too because I have too!

Baalam looked good before man yet his heart looked bad before God. God slew him. He was lost.
I don't want to be a Baalam do you? The rules could have killed me and made me a fake, The rules could have made me look good on the outside, but inwardly I wanted to go another way. The choice of pleasing man or pleasing God first always lies before us especially when God leads us into fresh pastures that others have yet to discover. God give us the wisdom to connect with grace yet be true on the inside as much as we are true with out actions. Help our hearts align with our lips, out motives align with God's purpose.

HOW DO WE GET TO THIS PLACE. Open dialogue, more conversation on controversial topics. more understanding and open discussion on issues our father's hid behind. The conversation between God and man is best encouraged between brother and brother. open talk with man, really does show open hearts with God. transparency with god, honesty with the brethren. Can I talk to you plainly without being rejected for my insight, after all that's how I communicate to my LORD!

God help me not become a Baalam.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Place of COMPASSION in our Preaching

Where are the MOTIVATORS

God is Doing It...Can You See It?